Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Sky gypsies adventures


OK I love everyone in my life I do but it is very hard to keep everyone informed of what is going on so I will once again try this blog thing and see what I can do. I am on an adventure, if you think about it your probably always on some kind of adventure... Anyways I am taking a small beautiful PA-12 from Juneau Alaska to Texas. I am very excited for this opportunity and thrilled to be in the midst of it. I left Juneau on the 27th of November and made it to Ketchikan (KTN) shortly after, but wasn't able to make it further south that day as the light doesn't last so long in the winter. So I decided to stay in Ketchikan and see what this small island down had to offer. There is a ferry (2min ride) to get to the mainland and Aero services being the epic people they are had a crew car for the pilots. I was excited. In a new place with wheels and everything to learn. I stayed at the Inn at Creek Side New York, I recommend this place highly very cozy and very nice people there to help you with whatever you need. O'Brian's the next door pub turned out to be a great meeting spot and some delicious burgers. Well the next day was just shitty (excuse my language), but it is a decent phrase to use here. The weather turned awful for the next few days. And I stayed in Ketchikan for a full week. IFR all around the airport and especially south of the airport. North near Juneau was being pounded with snow. I talked to a few of the sea plane operators and they weren't flying south either. Just to give you a slight idea of what was going on the winds out of the inlets were 50 to 60 knots. A high pressure system was being pushed from the inland area to the coast and to make matters worse there was this Low pressure system just off the coast south of me that was just spinning and spinning. Nothing good comes from a Low I've realized and understand a lot better now. So to say the wind was the least of my worries was an understatement. Low visibilities, snow showers and rain showers. Everything that you wouldn't want to flying in seemed to just hover around the west coast of Canada and SouthEast Alaska. Lovely right. I checked on my plane everyday and crossed my fingers at night, but to no avail. I was going no where. I met some new people and made some new friends. Found cheaper accommodation to more of my style. If anyone is in Ketchikan who may need a friendly place to stay or needs some good stories Eagle View hostel is a fantastic place to stay! I had a clean room, towels, kitchen, tv, comfortable couch and a killer view. Life was good waiting out the storm. I was lucky and met some fellow pilots who had flown the route I was hoping to fly to so that was nice to get a better view of what I was getting myself into. I also am blessed to have a few good friends who know a thing or two about weather and have been very helpful as a second ear to make sure I don't get myself into anything I'm not ready for. And I had many a conversations either stressed out or annoyed of my position or just needing a friendly word. After a week I believe my view of flying has changed. Good weather to me means light winds, 2000 to 3000 foot ceiling and your super lucky to get no rain showers. On Wed the 5th of December I had another hole in the weather system before more fronts decided to move down the coast again. I took it and I made it to Prince Rupert Canada. Cleared customs and to the help of friends got 3 jerry cans of gas sent to me via a charter boat. This is literally the only thing I could do to get gas. There is no Avgas in Prince Rupert don't let anyone tell you differently. 3 years they have not had 100LL. Thankfully the plane is rated for mid grade car fuel, so this is what I will use on the next leg. The plane is fueled and ready to fly, just waiting on weather again. Will soon be finding something fun to do in Prince Rupert and looking forward to the challenge. I am no longer land locked! Jamee

No comments:

Post a Comment